.

.

Friday, May 2, 2014

What's for dinner? [Five on Friday]


Lately Matt and I have been on a health kick. It probably has something to do with the fact that we will be on the beaches of Cozumel just one week from today!! After MUCH discussion and literally months of searching for the perfect destination we finally pulled the trigger about 3 weeks ago and now that it is all officially set up I could not be more excited. One of my biggest stipulations for the trip was that it was somewhere our cell phones wouldn't work. I am thinking a week without cell service is going to do us really good. Three weeks isn't ample time to work on our "beach bodies" so we decided to try a paleo diet in addition to our workouts. Last Tuesday we were loaned a copy of Practical Paleo from our Bible study leader and she recommended a few recipes that have been total winners. In addition to the Paleo cook book we have also had some "Pinterest Wins" over the last month. So without further ado, Five on Friday- Food on the Table edition!


HEALTHY CHICKEN SALAD RECIPE 
--One--
I am not a major chicken salad person but man this recipe was DELICIOUS! We have made it several times. I leave out the cranberries (because I am not a huge fan) and I let Matt de-bone the chicken because I find animal bones disturbing- I like to pretend my meat grows on trees. Chicken tree.





--Two--
Zoodles. These have just about been the best discovery ever. I bought my Paderno World Cuisine spiralizer from Amazon almost a year ago and I honestly think I could eat zucchini noodles every day (Matt does not agree). I am a major spaghetti/ pasta lover, so for me, zoodles have been the perfect substitute. Excited to use my spiralizer for some other food projects!



One-Pan Coconut Shrimp Noodle Bowls
--Three--
Coconut Noodle bowls. Matt and I made these for the first time a little over a month ago and I definitely think they will be making a repeat appearance in the weekly food lineup. I had never used coconut milk in a recipe before and it was kind of strange. The recipe almost seemed to have a cheesiness to it- which is weird because I didn't use any cheese! We sure do love some shrimp. And cheese.




Gluten-Free Recipes: Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe-Shape Magazine. I followed this recipe exactly and served with maple syrup. Fun fall breakfast!
--Four--
Pumpkin Pancakes- above is the book our Bible study leader was so sweet to lend us and also a picture of the pancakes off Pinterest. I am honestly always too hungry to photograph my food before I eat it. I don't know how food photographers do what they do. If food is in front of me, I am going to eat it. Matt and I made "breakfast for dinner" as one of our paleo meals the other night and for a girl who usually isn't a huge fan of breakfast foods (I have been known to order a hamburger at our favorite breakfast spot, The Good Egg) I was a huge fan of that particular meal. Scrambled eggs, jalapeno bacon, and pumpkin pancakes. Nom.




--Five--
The engagement bunny. In a effort to keep it real, I will say paleo week hasn't been without its low moments. The other day I was craving some chocolate and since I had already eaten most every piece in our house we have been pretty good about keeping it out of the house I had to resort to "the engagement bunny". Matt's aunt Patti came to visit during the time Matt and I were engaged. It was actually during a major snowstorm and we had a really fun time "rescuing her" from her hotel and going out to dinner at Outback and making a trip to Walmart so that she could pick up some essentials. While she was here she gave us a card and a large chocolate bunny to congratulate us on our engagement. The bunny, which we probably should have pitched or re-gifted, has been living in the freezer for well over a year and whenever one of us is in desperate need of some chocolate we go chop off another piece of the bunny. The bunny is actually getting pretty small. I think I may be a little sad when it is all gone.

Hope you all had a wonderful week!
Betsy

5 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through the link-up. Your pup is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmmm! I now want to go home and make everything you have listed above...and I don't cook! :) It all looks delish! So glad I found you through the "Five on Friday" link up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi from the link up! I absolutely adore your blog name, but I must tell you that I have the best dog in the world... :) I've been wanting the veggie spiralizer for a while now! I really just need to buy it, but my husband hates zucchini. Can you do other veggies with it? Ever tried sweet potatoes?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay it's official- I need to buy a spiralizer because I've been seeing all of these blog posts (and pins on Pinterest) about zucchini noodles. It's going to happen. :)

    I found you through the link up! I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, this post cracked me up! Chicken trees...you goon.

    ReplyDelete